Web Application Development on QNX

Hi;

I would like to develop a web application that will run through internet on QNX. I was thinking about using Java to develop that application. Does QNX support JAVA, and the JEE technology?
Otherwise, which technologies does QNX offer or support to develop web applications?

Thanks for the help;

8)

On the server side, you can run Apache or QNX’s slinger server. These both support CGI which you can hook into whatever language you want, ‘C’, JAVA, PHP, etc. There are JAVA VM’s for QNX but they are not Sun Java.

If you want to run QNX as a client, there are two browsers, Voyager and an older port of Firefox. You can to some extent roll your own using Photon and PtWebClient widget, although there are some limitations. QNX is not supporting this widget very well.
You can of course write your own UI using Photon. If you want it to communicate with a web server, I would check out the Curl library.

Or you could make it a little more clear what you are trying to do.

[quote=“maschoen”]
On the server side, you can run Apache or QNXThanks for the reply!
I want to develop a web application to control a process running on QNX. Basically, i would like to know if its possible to install JAVA, Eclipse on QNX to develop a web server with Java. So i will need to run Apache too. What is QNXs slinger server. I have QNX Neutrino, is that the same?

The web application i want to develop should be accessed with a web browser like Mozilla. I will use a webcam to provide video stream on the web application too.
Which technology does QNX offer for web application development?
Is there any documentation about that?

I want to develop a web application to control a process running on QNX.

That sounds quite reasonable.

Basically, i would like to know if it`s possible to install JAVA, Eclipse
on QNX to develop a web server with Java.

So you want Java to be the backend language running on the QNX server?

Well there are two or three JAVA’s that could do this. It’s a somewhat unlikely choice, but maybe this is the language you are familiar with,
and I suppose it can be done. I say this because most programming
with QNX is done with ‘C’ or C++. I don’t know how well the interfaces to the OS will work from JAVA but at the very least you could use Socket
programming to communicate with your process running on QNX.

So i will need to run Apache too.

Maybe. Some consider Apache overkill for an embedded system.
It runs fine if that is what you want.

What is QNX`s slinger server.

It’s a web server like Apache but striped down and much smaller.

I have QNX Neutrino, is that the same?

“QNX Neutrino” is the generic name for the QNX version 6.+ OS.
In some contexts “Neutrino” just refers to the kernel.
“slinger” is just the name of a program, like “Apache” that runs on
Qnx Neutrino.

The web application i want to develop should be accessed with a
web browser like Mozilla.

Did you want Mozilla to run on the same QNX box, another QNX box or another platform like Win XP? There is a port of Firefox 2.0 that will run on QNX Neutrino, however it does not support JAVA applets as far as I know.

I will use a webcam to provide video stream on the web application too.
I don’t really know how live video stream works on commercial web servers. I could tell you have you might do it under QNX, but I don’t think my method would work with JAVA as the backend language.

Which technology does QNX offer for web application development?
I have no idea what you mean by this. The question is way to broad.
I’ll give you some idea of what I mean.

Under QNX you can run:
Apache or Slinger with CGIC and at least the following languages for back end.
‘C’, C++, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby

MySQL has bee ported and works quite nicely, if not super efficiently.

Many frameworks such as RAILS and CakePHP work just fine.

In general, QNX is not used as a general purpose web server platform.
It has similar characteristics as Linux, but Linux is somewhat better
supported.

Is there any documentation about that?
I don’t think you will find much, but I would try googling “QNX web development”.