Momentics debugging locks the QNX system

I am developing a Photon Appbuilder Project using the Momentics IDE on my Windows XP box.

Right now the project is very simple and only contains two windows, the base window and a logon screen that pops up when the application launches.

I can run the application from Momentics and the application runs on the QNX box connected. It works as expected.

However, when I attempt to debug the application from Momentics, I am having problems. First, Momentics returns an error message and the QNX box that I am connecting to locks up and I have to physically unplug it to reboot it.

Here are the steps I am following:

1. Appbuilder is running in a window on my XP box that was started by the Momentics IDE. I click Build->Generate UI from the PhAB window.
  2. In Momentics, I highlight the project, right click and click “Build Project”
  3. I open up the “binaries” icon and right click on the debug binary (patui_g - [x86/le]). I select “Debug As->1 C/C++ QNX Application”

At this point, in Momentics, I get a “QNX GDB Debugger” window that states “Execution is suspended because of error.”, the details windows states: “putpkt: write failed: No error.”

Any ideas?

Sorry about the multiple posts!

Kenrus,

On your QNX box make sure qconn is running. You need this for remote debugging from Momentics.

Tim

qconn is running.

In the console tab of Momentics, everything with gdb seems to go fine until it is attempting to change the watchpoint type. Here is a snippet of the messages around that output:

(gdb)
112-exec-continue
112^running
(gdb)
~“Changing watchpoint type to software and trying again.\n”
Changing watchpoint type to software and trying again.
~“Timed out.\n”
Timed out.
~“MsgNak received - resending\n”
MsgNak received - resending
~“Timed out.\n”
Timed out.
~“MsgNak received - resending\n”
MsgNak received - resending
&“putpkt: write failed: No error.\n”
putpkt: write failed: No error.
112^error,msg=“putpkt: write failed: No error.”
(gdb)
113 info tidinfo
&“info tidinfo\n”
&“putpkt: write failed: No error.\n”
114^error,msg=“putpkt: write failed: No error.”
(gdb)

I ran ntox86-gdb.exe on the command line (Win XP box) and I was able to connect and attach to a process on the QNX box. The console window doesn’t seem to be giving me the actual commands so I can’t follow exactly how Momentics is doing it to attempt to find the error.

Kenrus,

Going back to your 1st post you wrote:

1. I open up the “binaries” icon and right click on the debug binary (patui_g - [x86/le]). I select “Debug As->1 C/C++ QNX Application”

When I right click on my binaries and select the ‘Debug’ option I get a pop-up window with quite a few options.

The ones you want are:

1. C/C++ QNX attach to process w/QCONN (IP)
  2. C/C++ QNX QCONN (IP)

#1 is if you start your program manually then attach the debugger to it after it’s started.
#2 is if you want to launch your program from the debugger itself.

I’m wondering if you’ve accidentally tried to debug on you windows machine (remember this can be self-hosted on a QNX machine which is why the other options exist under debug).

Tim

I typically use the 2nd option (C/C++ QNX QCONN(IP) ), however I did go back and attempt to use the 1st option you mentioned as well. They both end up producing the same error messages and locking up the QNX box.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I am very new to QNX (1 week or so) and there have been a few things like this that have just been a headache to figure out.

Right now I may just back up and create a brand new project and attempt to debug it before adding any of my own code. In addition, I am currently using the demo/evaluation version of Momentics while we wait on the business office to submit the purchase order for the fully licensed version of the development tools. Hopefully, at that point, we will have some type of phone or email support.

If you have any other ideas or if there is any additional information that I can provide to help identify the problem, please let me know.

Kendall

Kendall,

At this point the I’d check your debug options:

Check all the tabs in the debug target. Main sure the path in the Main tab is right for your exe under Windows. Make sure in the Download tab that you have the correct path specified for the exe on the QNX machine. Also make sure you check the ‘download executable to target’ otherwise it won’t be updating the exe which will be a problem.

If that still doesn’t work then I’d try to simply attach to a running process on your QNX machine. One you don’t have code for. Just to make sure everything connects properly. But hopefully it’s just one of your debug options.

Tim

I started a project from scratch and everything seems to be working correctly now.

I will begin adding my code slowly so that I can identify what is causing the problem, if anything.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I am still having other problems that I am attempting to figure out, so you will likely see more posts from me.

Thanks!

Kendall

Is it safe to delete Debug dump files, system error dump files, and Thumbnails to clean up my Vista? I’m trying to get my Vista to work faster and i’m dumping all files I don’t need. I’ve already cleaned up my temporary internet files, and recycle bin but is it safe to delete Debug dump files, system error dump files, and Thumbnails? Do I really need them for my computer to function right.