running phAB Application

I’m 2 hours new at QNX. I built the hello world app and it runs in the Builder. How do I get it to run without the builder? I have the NC version and running on an old Dell Latitude D610. Do I need another version or am I missing something funadamental about the QNX windows applications architecture? Regards.

Well you need a machine that runs QNX, it can be another PC, or a virtual machine. The builder generates a QNX executable not a Windows executable.

mario - Thank you so much for replying. The machine I’m running on is running QNX, I think. I downloaded the QNX 6.2.1 NC image and installed it on the only partition of the drive. I’m running as root. I thought I should also be able to run the application on the same system. Login says ‘Welcome to the QNX Neutrino OS’. I thought I could use the File Manager to go to my hello_world folder and click on an executable under my hello_world>>gcc_ntox86 to run it. What am I missing? is the gcc_ntox86 build not compatable with my system? - Regards.

mario - Thank you so much for replying. The machine I’m running on is running QNX, I think. I downloaded the QNX 6.2.1 NC image and installed it on the only partition of the drive. I’m running as root. I thought I should also be able to run the application on the same system. Login says ‘Welcome to the QNX Neutrino OS’. I thought I could use the File Manager to go to my hello_world folder and click on an executable under my hello_world>>gcc_ntox86 to run it. What am I missing? is the gcc_ntox86 build not compatable with my system? - Regards.

Brink2011,

It’s possible that your program doesn’t have the execute bit set.

From the QNX prompt enter ‘chmod a+x’ to set the execute bit.

Then try running your program. Note that I am not sure if you can run a program from the File Manager. It’s only meant to view the file system. So you should probably use a terminal to run your program.

Tim

Execute bit was already set. The problem was that I was trying to run the executable from the same directory that contained the executable. When I go up one level and then run it it works. I was also trying to use the File Manager and then double clicked on the application thinking it would run but again it would not, seems it could be the same problem. I find this to be a strange fundamental issue but hear it is common. If there is a solution so that I can run the application using the mouse from the File Manager I would love to hear it. Maybe there is a different File Manager?

Thanks for your help!

From the directory where the app is, run it as “./appname”, not just “appname”.

Double clicking binaries in file browser works for me, but I have 6.5. Not sure why you use old 6.2.1.