IP address configuration

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to configure an ethernet interface with ip address on QNX 6.4.0 using the ifconfig en0 192.168.0.252 command and I got this error message:

“ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS en0: No such device or address”

I hope somebody can help on this.

Thanks

Wan

Try running “ifconfig” without any parameters and see what the interfaces are named.
For reasons I do not yet understand, the interface names seem to be driver dependent and they started changing in 6.4.

Hi there,

this is the error message if I type “ifconfig”

Lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33192 inet127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

It’s works now when I re-installed the network card driver and configure the ip address again. But I’m not sure why this happened since I do not make any modification to the system before. Is it possible that the driver is corrupted?

Wan

I don’t think you mean “error message”. ifconfig just showed all the interfaces it found, which was only the “local” interface at 127.0.0.1. This just means that there were no other interfaces found. Which probably means that the driver didn’t get started properly. I doubt the driver itself was corrupted. You may have a hardware problem if the happens again.

Hi maschoen,

What do you said might be true. I restarted my PC today and the ip address is resetted to 0.0.0.0 and I need to configure the ip address again. It seems like I have to configure the ip address everytime I shutdown the system. Do you have any thought or suggestion why this happen?

Thank you so much for you help.

Wan

You have to (somehow) run ifconfig to configure your IP address every time the system boots.
The QNX development system will do this automatically.
If you are building a target with a custom .boot file and startup scripts, you will need to do this yourself.

You can run the ifconfig command by adding it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local … create the file if necessary and set execute permission. This is also a good place to start “inetd” and “qconn” if you want them to always run. Note rc.local only runs on systems using “diskboot”.