Cannot Boot from CD or DVD 6.5

Trying to run Neutrino from the installation CD (or DVD) and all I see on my screen is Booting QNX SDP followed by one and a half lines of dots. I am not prompted to press any keys nor am I given any options for alternate booting. There is no BIOS option to turn off PNP or to set up SATA, in fact the there are very few BIOS options at all. This is a new laptop its an HP Pavilion dv7 I purchased it primarily to do QNX development.

Processor
2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10 GHz

Memory
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM) ; Maximum supported = 16GB

Display
17.3" diagonal High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)

Video graphics
Radeon HD 7470M switchable graphics with up to 1024MB GDDR5 and up to 5093MB total graphics memory

Hard drive
1TB Hard Drive (5400RPM) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Networking
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

I/O ports
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ; 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 ; 1 HDMI ; 1 VGA (15-pin) ; 1 RJ -45 (LAN) ; 2 Headphone-out ; 1 Microphone-in

Ouch if all you get are a few dots, then it means the boot loader can’t load the image. That’s bad as the boot loader goes through BIOS services to load it.

Have you tried the CD in another computer. Maybe it’s bad or there was a problem with the download of the ISO.

Why don’t you develop under windows, can’t believe I would ever be saying that. Then run QNX inside a virtual machine. With 8Gig of ram you are in business ;-)

Thanks Mario, thats what I was afraid of…

I’m leading a team thats using QNX to develop an embedded data acquisition system for drilling wells and we have been using both Windows and Linux hosts throughout our development. I was hoping to be able to set up this laptop as a central build machine running a Neutrino hosted build of the Momentics IDE. I suppose I should have researched the laptops a little bit more before buying. Just a little spoiled assuming an OS would run on current generation hardware, or in the case of Linux if it doesn’t run out of the box I have the skills/community support to make it run.

QNX6 (Neutrino) doesn’t support the IDE it’s only supported on Windows/Linux.

That makes perfect sense, why would you want to be able to build in the environment you’ll be running in? Ah well I’m stuck with it for now, might as well try and make the most of it.

A few comments. I’m really surprised that the QNX hosted boot CD doesn’t work. I recall there are two versions around now, one having support for a newer interrupt controller.

It actually doesn’t make any sense to me at all (unless you are being sarcastic). Since 1985 I’ve been developing QNX self-hosted. Whenever I’m forced to use Windows to develop I turn green with nausea. There are some nice features in the IDE that I’d like to see available self hosted, eg. kernel traces, but otherwise I’m fine without it.

You must use installation
qnxsdp-6.5.0-x86-201007091524-nto-apic.iso !

not
qnxsdp-6.5.0-x86-201007091524-nto.iso

Hi ,

I installed qnx6.5.0 through DVD on kontron sbc with Intel® Core™ i7 processor, after installation completes, when booting its showing errors.

ahci SIM attach failure

Shutdown[0,0] S/C/F=11/1/11 C/D=f001517d/f00571ac state(c0)= now lock exit

…i think kernel dump.

however its booting well when i select qnxbase.ifs …but taking more time to detect hardware like keyboard ,mouse.

can any give me solution pls.