Are the QNX GNU utilities on quics.qnx.com gone?

There are a bunch of helpful GNU utilities ported to QNX4 on quics.qnx.com, but that server seems to have been down for a couple weeks now, or repurposed.

Does anyone know if it’s gone permanently? Is the cache of utilities available anywhere else?

That would seem to be a perfect thing for openqnx.com to host.

I tried that URL and was redirected to www.qnx.com. I think I remember QUICS as an old bbs system that QNX used to run for support. I think it’s been more than a decade that its been gone.

While not as good as QNX 6 in this respect, QNX 4 was to a large degree Posix conforming, and so a lot of Linux and GNU software should port fairly easily, if not trivially. Of course anything that uses a thread or a Linux specific OS call will not work out of the box.

I’ve read about the BBS, though I wasn’t using QNX when it was up. But quics.qnx.com, hosted gobs and gobs of utilities, not only GNU, and not only for QNX4. I only paid attention to the QNX4 directories, but I believe there were even more for QNX6. There must have been over 100 all divided up by category. It would be a real shame if they’re all just gone.

Maybe it was superseded by the pkgsrc project.

community.qnx.com/sf/sfmain/do/v … cts.pkgsrc

It’s up. But sporadically.

As in the first time I right clicked on your link and opened in a new tab I went right to the page (as you can see in the screen shot of my google browser). When I closed and re-opened I got a 500 internal server error. Repeated openings sometimes got the 500 internal server error and sometimes got the page. Not sure why (something interfering with the redirect).

This is the link I cut and pasted from your original link:

quics.qnx.com/cgi-bin/dir_find.c … /qnx4/gnu/

There definitely are 2 machines there. Pinging quics.qnx.com gives 209.226.137.75 while qnx.com is at 209.226.137.53

I’d try repeatedly (maybe even rebooting to clear some caches) to get there. Once you do, I’d make sure I grabbed everything I could.

Tim

P.S. at the bottom of the page it says copyright 1999 and to mail freesoft@qnx.com if you have any problems. Seems this is awfully old but you might try that email and see if anyone responds.