Installing QNX6.3 and QNX6.5 on single computer

Hi,

I have installed QNX6.5 on my laptop and it is working fine. I want to install QNX6.3 version also on my laptop. Is it possible to have both version on same machine ?
Is there is any specific procedure to achieve this ?

Using virtual machine tool :slight_smile:

Is it not possible on same machine without any virtual machine tool, i.e. keeping both 6.3 and 6.5 ?

As per QNX6.5 installation guide, it says QNX6.5 can coexist with QNX6.4 and QNX6.3 version, below is the link
support7.qnx.com/download/downlo … ide_P8.pdf

I have not tried this yet.

If you have room on your hard drive, you can have a separate partition that QNX 6.3 can be installed on. Once booted, both OS’s can access both partition, assuming your QNX 6.5 is using the QNX 4 file system. Otherwise QNX 6.5 will see both but QNX 6.3 will only see its own partition.

While it is doubtful that this will be an issue, I found that there as a bug in the SCSI driver for QNX 6.3 when used with multiple processors which was fixed with QNX 6.32.

If you have room on your hard drive, you can have a separate partition that QNX 6.3 can be installed on. Once booted, both OS’s can access both partition, assuming your QNX 6.5 is using the QNX 4 file system. Otherwise QNX 6.5 will see both but QNX 6.3 will only see its own partition.

While it is doubtful that this will be an issue, I found that there as a bug in the SCSI driver for QNX 6.3 when used with multiple processors which was fixed with QNX 6.32.

Thanks for your response. That means if i try to install QNX 6.32 on same machine on which i am running QNX 6.5, that should work.

One question here.

Are you talking about installing 6.3 and 6.5 Momentics (QNX development tool) or are you talking about the actual O/S itself? The link in your initial post was about Momentics and not the O/S.

It’s not always clear when people talk about installing QNX whether they mean the Momentics development suite or the actual O/S itself.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Here i mean is

1. Is it possible to install QNX6.3 and 6.5 momentics (QNX development tool) on single machine.
  2. If Above is possible, how the make command will work to build firmware. Currently i have only 6.5 installed so make command uses 6.5 compiler but if i install 6.3 what will be the behavior of make command.

My ultimate goal here is to compile QNX 6.3 BSP and QNX 6.5 BSP on same machine using make command.

I haven’t done it but I don’t see why it can’t be done.

If you type ‘Path’ from a DOS prompt you’ll see the search path for all commands on your machine. For example in my path I see 2 QNX additions for the executables. At worst you could manually modify the path (via a script you write) to add/remove the path for 6.3 and 6.5 depending on which one you wanted to compile.

These posts talk about doing it in the Makefile itself. Maybe you can add a target for 6.3 and 6.5 and change the path accordingly

stackoverflow.com/questions/625 … on-windows
stackoverflow.com/questions/275 … on-windows

Tim

I guess we are talking about Momentics on Windows? I have both 6.6 and 6.5 on my Windows machine, so I’m sure 6.3 could work too. Different Icons on the startup.