Bootable Ethernet

Since Corman stop developing Arcnet has anybody had any success in using bootable Ethernet on Qnx 4.25?

Thanks.

Chris.

I found the Etherboot project which mentions Qnx4 and also the Rom-o-matic site. I’m still interested if someone has got it working.

Chris

We used normal bootable ethernet cards and a bootp server running on linux to successully boot qnx4 nodes all the time. It was a couple years ago and I don’t recall the details, but it certainly worked fine.

Well, I had some fun but I eventually got it working. Same principle as the standard bootp daemon and the tftp service. Running TcpIp 5 (rather than netboot) I had to start bootpd manually as inetd refused to start it, may have configured the line wrong but I am happy with it running all the time.

Using Anders Larsen’s mkQNXnbi tool I converted a stardard boot file built (courtesy of a template from Anders) and built it using buildqnx. I then processed it using mkQNXnbi into an Etherboot compatible loader. I had tried a dynamic compile of the build file but was plagued by tftp access violation errors.

Boots quicker than Arcnet. Hopefully this should save me a trip to China if the machines break.

Thanks.

Chris.

bootp dgram udp wait root /usr/ucb/bootpd bootpd