Problems with mplayer and my Yamaha DS1

So I’m trying to watch some videos with mplayer that I have encoded as mpeg2…

First, when trying to use the alsa5 audio output driver:

alsa-init: requested format: 44100 Hz, 2 channels, Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
alsa-init: 1 soundcard(s) found, using: ds1 PCM 0
alsa-init: error setting parameters: Invalid argument
couldn’t open/init audio device → no sound

With the SDL output driver:

SDL: Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
AO: [sdl] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit → 44100Hz/2ch/16bit…
Start playing…
A: 0.2 V: 0.4 A-V: -0.182 ct: -0.014 6/ 6 0% 0% 0.0% 0 0 0%

And it just hangs.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Do other audio based applications (killerAudio) work?

phplay has no problems with mp3s. It massively stutters with mpeg1 video files (1 frame every few seconds) which, I’m going to assume, is unrelated to this audio problem.

I have not tried KillerAudio, but I will when I get home.

Adam

edit: KillerAudio works fine.

This also happens with my SB LIve! but not my AudioPCI card. I’m assuming this is directly related to the use of SDL since native apps such as phplay [edit: when playing audio only files] and killerAudio work fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The SBLive driver has issues. Which is why it has been dropped for 6.3.0.

Well, I think that answers my followup question as to whether or not the Audigy will be supported in 6.3.0 :slight_smile:

So what other issues does the SBLive driver have to require this drop? The Yamaha driver seems just as buggy, from what I’ve seen… What’s a recommended soundcard?

Adam

I can vouch for the C-Media CM8738, it’s cheap, has digital out and Lestat maintains the driver in perfect condition. :slight_smile:

Also, I’ve used Aureal and VIA southbridge and Intel southbridge without any hassles - none of which are current models any longer.

Can you confirm that it works with mplayer?

Adam

I use an old soundblaster 16 pci card for the simple fact that “every” os supports them. As for mplayer under QNX, i’ve never had any issues. Grab a 10 dollar sb16 and enjoy life :slight_smile: