Xvnc on qnx 6.3. problem

Hello. There was a need for remote access to the QNX operating system. I found a topic about Xvnc server on the openqnx form. Found the bin files of the server and application libraries. When connected by a client, real vnc looks like a graphical console. In my understanding, this should have looked like a normal VNC operation on Windows with a desktop display.

Maybe I did something wrong. Can you help me how to start the VNC server correctly. (write a little instruction) Or is this the correct operation of the Xvnc server.

Thanks!

The reason you see a console is because QNX is not running in desktop mode.

See the text that says to start Photon, type ‘ph’. Try running the ‘ph’ command and see if that launches Photon (that’s the desktop display like what you see in Windows).

Tim

Thanks for the answer.
The first thing I did was call the graphical shell with the ph command. But it did not help. Perhaps something else needs to be done?

When you issue a command, a new process is started on the computer and inside the QNX system. The Xvnc window remains unchanged as a console.

Maybe VNC is connected to a virtual display showing the console.
You might have to start Photon before launching VNC and/or configure VNC to connect to the Photon display.

1 Like

How to setup vnc to connect to Photon?

It looks like you need PhinX (Photon in X) running in order to see the GUI in VNC.

I have no idea if the version is the latest one since these posts are 15 years old now. It’s possible you need a newer version of PhinX and I have no idea where you’d get it now unless someone here has a copy.

Tim

1 Like

I’m unclear why you are trying to run Xvnc. If you need to use that program, ignore what I have to say. Photon has an excellent way to access it remotely. From a QNX machine the program is PhDitto. From a Windows machine it is Phindows.exe.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is not possible to purchase the Phwindows program. That’s why I’m looking for alternative ways.

Interesting. So QNX refuses to sell it anymore? Pretty weird, but a lot of the things they’ve been doing fit that category.

1 Like

I’ve found phindows.exe in my QNX 6.5.0 (SP1) installation directory.
I’m pretty sure it was delivered on the install CD, not separately.
It’s worth checking if it is present in your QNX 6.3 installation directory…

1 Like

On my QNX cd, I didn’t find phindows.exe. Maybe I don’t have the complete package. I found several QXN ISO on the internet. (6.3.0, 6.5.0) I didn’t find the .exe file there.
Maybe you can specify the exact location of the file. (directory)

I think phwindows needs to be purchased separately from the operating system.

I think Phwindows can be bought, is it a problem to get it in my country, or is it quite difficult.

You can specify the location directory of phwindows.exe on your CD(ISO)?

The file phindows.exe is not on the CD as is. It is somewhere in a compressed file used by the installer.
On my machine I can find it here : C:\QNX650\host\win32\x86\usr\bin\phindows.exe

1 Like

From this post, it seems phindows is included in Momentics installer.

1 Like

Big thanks!!!
I found a utility. Checked on my operating system everything works.
I also managed to configure Xvnc to display Photon.

Later I will write instructions for people, maybe it will be useful to someone. And I have more questions about Xvnc.

That’s good news.
:+1:

1 Like

Hello. As promised, INSTRUCTIONS.

Tested on QNX 6.3.0. I’ll try to explain it the way I need to explain it to me. :slight_smile:

First. Need to find packages.

Xvnc-3.3.7-qnx6-bin.tar.gz

xf86-4301-qnx6-bin.tar.gz Open Source applications for QNX - Browse /XFree86 4.3 for QNX6/4.3.0.1 at SourceForge.net

Perl 5.6.1. (I used, maybe other versions will work too)
Perl will be more difficult. You will have to build it from source, or find a CD (ISO) repository to install via qnxinstall.
If you take qnxinstall from 6.3.0. will not work well on 6.5.0.
(If anyone has bin qnxinstall for 6.5.0. we would be grateful if you could share it).
Perl 5.6.1 I will try to post here if possible. bin file.

Second.

Let’s open a terminal.
(All packages from the first step are in the /home directory)

cd /home
gzip Xvnc-3.3.7-qnx6-bin.tar.gz
gzip xf86-4301-qnx6-bin.tar.gz

In the /home directory, you will have Xvnc-3.3.7-qnx6-bin.tar and xf86-4301-qnx6-bin.tar. Unzip them to the / root directory.

Open terminal.
cd /home
tar -C / -xf Xvnc-3.3.7-qnx6-bin.tar
tar -C / -xf xf86-4301-qnx6-bin.tar
bin Perl copy to /usb/bin/ (If it is here).

We write in the console.
export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

which vncserver
returns /usr/X11R6/bin/vncserver

which perl
returns /opt/bin/perl

This thread talked about it. (Howto run vnc server in QNX? - #2 by noc)

Third.

We are looking for the inetd.conf file (/etc/inetd.conf)
Let’s remove the comment. phrelay (62 lines in file)

phrelay stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/phrelay phrelay -x

In the console.
inetd
ps -A
Check if the inetd process is running. (Further you can write inetd when initializing the operating system). (Example in /etc/system/sysinit).

Next.
We write in the console.
vncserver -geometry 1920x1080 :1
The console will prompt you to enter a password for access.
vncserver will return
Creating default startup script /root/.vnc/xstartup
Starting application specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/localhost:1.log
pfm files are hidden.

You can see the parameters for starting vncsever here. (Xvnc)

Launch server.
IP:5901
Let’s try to connect. Use REAL VNC Viewer or TightVNC Viewer.

in X terminal
Phinx

The only thing phinx starts is a new Photon process, if anyone has any idea how to connect to an already running process?

Failed to test my instruction on 6.5.0. phinx returned unknown symbol. If you have a chance to fix this, please post here.

Sorry for my english.